I have an indulging confession to make. I have got the munchies like no other. But as part of this whole movement in being more health conscious I have also made some changes – healthy ones at that – to incorporate to my own lifestyle.
While it may be the obvious, sometimes the obvious can be overlooked or underestimated. And since Singapore Fashion Week is coming up, while juggling my professional job, photography and blogging projects, and organizing my personal life for yet another big move, a healthy lifestyle has been on my mind a lot lately and a topic we all love speaking about.
You know that feeling where you arrive at the office, get down to tackling your one-hundred-and-one-unread-email inbox have a conference call or two, look up and it’s 3:00pm already? Where has all the time gone?! Or when you spend a Sunday shopping and you find yourself wandering aimlessly in the mall, four hours later? In both cases, you’re starving. And then it’s all over and you are left wishing that there were more hours in a day.
Fashion week is kind of like that, but with a lot more stiletto-shod models, photographers, industry profs and bloggers alike. And in spirit of preparedness a la the Girl Scout way, this season I am determined to avoid the 3 P.M. slump and the subsequent urge to eat every last truffle-infused macaroni ball at a press showcase, by stocking up my bag with snacks.
Here are my top 5 snacks that I usually like to have with me;
1. Bars – If I’m absolutely starving and such an awkward time between meals and no time to grab something fresh… a bar or trail mix are great ways to seal the deal.
2. Fruit – When I know I’m going to be on the go for a while I always pack fruit, apples, clementines or grapes. I rinse them and wrap them in paper towels so they stay nice and then I have a napkin for myself because I always make a mess. I like lighter stuff like fruit.”
3. Crudité – I love nuts but sometimes I find it a tad on the heavy side for my digestive system and dehydrating, so I’m not a big trail mix person. Personally I prefer having chopped veggies: avocados, baby carrots and celery sticks, and bell pepper – but obviously depending on circumstances.
4. Smoothies – I like to make my own smoothie in the morning or a juice and then make an extra for the day. I like smoothies as it will stay cold throughout the day.
5. Water & Herbal Tea – I carry water with me most of the time. What I love the most about Singapore drink stands are the fresh coconuts so if I have a few extra minutes I’ll pop in there and get a fresh coconut water. And herbal tea, I love trying different types of teas – but peppermint and chamomile are my favourites.
There is always one or more of these combinations I have with me at all times, and definitely feel less guilty when I have the munchies. So cheers to healthy snacking!
Thanks for reading!