If you have seen my previous post about a new lifestyle brand called Peace Collective, you will be familiar with the great cause they incorporate as a one for one model for every purchase. I realized that I had yet to share how I styled my – Home Is Toronto – crop sweater from Peace Collective.
Crop tops have been everywhere this season, from the city streets to the runways at Jill Stuart and Michael Kors. Personally, I love this trend. If done right, the crop top can be sexy, chic, and sophisticated all at the same time – but it’s also a tough one to pull off!
If hearing the word crop top conjures up scary images of belly-baring ‘90s pop stars (à la Britney Spears), I can totally relate 100%. It’s certainly not the easiest trend to style, and it takes a somewhat of courage especially when baring skin. But pulling off the crop top doesn’t have to be so intimidating. For one thing, a crop top doesn’t automatically mean a bared bellybutton. There are plenty of ways to style a crop top, so here are my 5 ways to style one;
1. Play With Proportions: Like so many other styles, wearing a crop top is all about proportion. To strike a balance with your tinier top, wear a high-waisted skirt or high-rise trousers on the bottom. That way, only a sliver of skin will be showing and you can keep this trend feeling ladylike. And try to stay away from low-cut jeans. (this isn’t the ‘90s.)
2. Pair with a Skinny: Another key to pulling off the crop top is pairing it with a more conservative bottom. Since the skinny bottom, including a pencil skirt is the epitome of sleek and sophisticated style, I love how they look with a crop top. Think of it as ‘party on the top, business on the bottom.’
3. Box it off: Wearing a boxy, cropped sweater might feel a little less scary than a skin-tight top. Luckily, there are so many cute styles of cropped sweaters this season. I love this one from Peace Collective, with its minimalistic look.
4. Cover Up: If your tummy feels too exposed with a bare midriff, try layering an open cardigan, jacket, or blazer over your top so that only a hint of skin is showing in the front. Not only will this make you feel a little more covered up, but it’s also a great way to keep this look weather appropriate during the cooler spring months.
5. Leave it to Layers: Want to take part in the crop top trend without showing any skin at all? As I shared with the way I styled my crop sweater, I love the look of a cropped sweater with a crisp button-down shirt underneath. Flat abs or not, anyone can pull off this chic look.
I never know what to do with crop tops. But this – Home Is Toronto – sweater was a special one to me. For one, the message in itself is significant since living abroad, so it felt like a piece of home with me and the cause that it contributes to for its purchase, was just enough reason to try something out of my comfort zone.
And there you have it! I hope these tips help you to feel a little more confident about trying out the crop top trend.
Thanks for reading!
#WIW Browse Similar Items Here: